Traffic Calming Schemes

Local authorities may provide traffic calming measures such as signs, road markings, bollards, modified road surfaces, speed ramps and cushions to reduce speed rates and increase road safety.

Policy on the use of traffic calming measures in existing housing estates

There is an increasing demand from Resident Groups and Elected Members for traffic calming measures in existing housing estates and on access and distributor roads in towns and villages.

The demand is often because of perceived high traffic speeds on these roads or is an effort to make roads less attractive for "boy racers" or to reduce "rate running" through areas.

While the reduction of speed in built up areas is obviously desirable, the method of achieving this is not always agreed and the provision of vertical deflections (ramps) or rumble strips is frequently proposed as the only solution to this problem.

You may contact the Roads Department by emailing: