Taking in Charge of Estates Request

Developers or the majority of home owners can request the local authority to take charge of the roads and services within a housing estate.

Taking in Charge Policy and Form

A private housing estate can be defined as one comprising two or more houses which are served by access road(s), open spaces, car-parks, sewers, watermains and drains.

The taking in charge by a Local Authority of a Private Housing Estate shall be carried out in accordance with Section 180 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 and Section 11 of the Roads Act, 1993.

A developer wishing to have a residential estate taken in charge shall complete and submit the Taking in Charge of Residential Estates Application Form. The form may be submitted by post to:

The Planning Section, Carlow County Council, County Buildings, Athy Road, Carlow R93E7R7.