Disability Access Certificate

You must apply to the local authority for a certificate if you construct a new building, carry out alterations or change the use of a specified existing building. This confirms that a building complies with disability access requirements before it is occupied or used.

You must apply for a Disability Access Certificate for some new buildings and some alterations and extensions to existing buildings.

A disability access certificate (DAC) shows that you have made adequate provision for people with disabilities by complying with Part M of the Building Regulations 1997-2010.

You must apply for a DAC for all new buildings (including apartments, but not houses).

You can check the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government’s FAQs for more information.