Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Scheme

Local authorities may assist you in finding accommodation in the private market if you qualify for social housing. The local authority will pay the landlord and you will pay a rent contribution to the local authority.

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a social housing support for all applicants on Carlow County Council’s housing list. 

HAP will replace rent supplement for those with a long-term housing need. 

Short term rent supplement will continue to be managed by the Department of Employment Affairs & Social Protection.  

Anyone who has been approved for social housing support with Carlow County Council may be eligible to apply for HAP.

If you qualify for HAP you must find your own private rented accommodation (within specific rent limits). Carlow County Council will pay your landlord directly, up to the applicable rent limit, and you will pay a rent contribution to Carlow Council based on the Differential Rent Scheme. Your rent contribution will be based on your weekly household income and works in the same way as the differential rents charged for local authority owned properties.

HAP Limits for Carlow County Council
1 Adult in Shared Accommodation  Couple in Shared Accommodation 1 Adult Couple Couple or 1 Adult with 1 Child Couple or 1 Adult with 2 Children Couple or 1 Adult with 3 Children
€270 €290 €440 €510 €570 €600 €630

For more information, see a link to the Tenant and Landlord HAP Information Booklets and the Information Leaflet below:

Contact Details

Email: hap@carlowcoco.ie