Farm Plastics Producers Registration

Local authorities maintain a register of producers and manufacturers of farm plastics.

Farm Plastics

The Farm Plastics Regulations 2001 (S.I. No. 341 of 2001) came into effect on 23rd July 2001.

The main purpose of the Regulations is designed to promote the collection and recovery of silage plastics waste. These Regulations revise and replace the 1997 Regulations and are designed to assist the improved recovery of waste farm plastics.

What is the purpose of these Regulations?

The Regulations are designed to assist the improved recovery of waste farm plastics and to control the illegal sale of unlevied plastics. The Regulations require producers and suppliers of farm film plastic to operate a deposit and refund scheme, to collect waste farm plastics, to takes steps for the recovery of such waste, to register with and provide information to local authorities and to provide information to purchasers. An exemption from these obligations is available to persons who participate in a waste recovery scheme operated by an approved body.

What does this mean for me?

If you are a Farmer There a number of options available to a farmer seeking to correctly dispose of farm plastics: Ensure that the waste is free from excess water and debris and that it is segregated i.e. that bale netting is bundled separately from bale plastic and pit covers. Plastic fertiliser bags to be bundled together and free from any dirt or residue of chemicals. Containers must be “triple rinsed” prior to disposal.

  • Avail of collection at the farm yard, or deliver the waste to a one day bring-centre, as arranged by Irish Farm Films Producers Group (IFFPG)
  • Deliver the waste directly to a waste facility
  • Arrange a collection at the farmyard by an authorised waste collector

If you are a Producer/Manufacturer of Farm Film Plastic Producers (i.e. manufacturers and importers) of farm plastics must -

  • Register with, and submit relevant returns to, each local authority in whose functional area they provide farm plastics for sale;
  • Operate a deposit and refund scheme in respect of farm plastics that they place on the market at a rate of €254 per tonne, and
  • Collect the used farm plastics waste for recycling/recovery.

If you are a Distributor/Supplier of Farm Film Plastic: Suppliers (i.e. wholesalers, retailers, traders or contractors) of farm plastics must -

  • Require purchasers of farm plastics to pay a refundable deposit, proportionate to the quantity of farm plastics purchased, at a rate of €254 per tonne;
  • Provide a written statement to purchasers outlining the arrangements for the collection of waste plastic after use and refunding of a deposit paid; and subject to exemption conditions, register with and submit relevant returns to each local authority in whose functional area they provide farm plastics for sale.

What does this mean for collectors of waste?

Waste collectors collecting Farm Plastic must be authorised in their collection permit to collect farm plastics and deliver it to an authorised waste facility.

Who can collect farm plastic waste?

There a number of options available to a farmer seeking to correctly dispose of farm plastics:

  • Irish Farm Films Producers Group (IFFPG)
  • Farm Relief Services
  • Arrange a collection at the farmyard by an Authorised waste collector, i.e. a Collector permitted to collect farm plastic waste as designated on their Waste Collection Permit.

Irish Farm Films Producers Group (IFFPG) is a government approved scheme under the Farm Plastics Regulations 2001. IFFPG arrange the collection and recycling of farm plastics across the whole country, and charge a fee for this service. It is important to have your 6 digit bar code to avail of a reduced fee. You can request to have silage plastics collected from your farm on the Farm Plastics website or alternatively bring it to a bring-centre organised by IFFPG. Details and dates of bring centre collections can be found listed on the Farm Plastics website.

IFFPG can be contacted as follows:

Phone: 1890 3004444 or (01) 4089966

The Farm Relief Services (FRS) enterprise, facilitate the collection of Farm Plastics. The FRS collect all recyclable plastic: plastic spray cans, netting, fertiliser bags, plastic wrap and sheeting.

How much does it cost to collect?

Discuss the fees with the collectors prior to arranging a collection.

What are the benefits of separating my farm plastic waste?

It is easier and faster to direct the plastics to the proper treatment routes if they are segregated. It reduces the risk of a Waste Collector refusing to accept the material.

What happens to my farm plastic waste?

It is cleaned and washed in an authorised facility, processed into recyclable plastic pellets that are used in the manufacture of various plastic products such as plastic fence posts, plastic furniture etc.

What do I do with chemical waste containers?

Chemical waste containers such as pesticide drums should be triple rinsed prior to recycling Here is a guide to dealing with chemical waste containers:

How can I reduce my farm plastic waste?

Recycle it as frequently as possible by participating in the Farm Plastic Collection Scheme.

I have a query about the Farm Plastic Waste Regulations, who do I contact?

Any queries/complaints in relation to the Regulations or farm plastic waste should be addressed to 

What are the consequences of not managing farm plastic waste properly?

A farmer runs the risk of causing an offence under the Regulations. Each local authority is responsible for the enforcement of these Regulations. A person guilty of an offence under these Regulations is liable: (a) on summary conviction, to a class B fine (i.e. up to €4,000.00) or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or both, or, (b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding €500,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or both. A farmer also runs the risk during a Department of Agriculture inspection of poor management of farm plastic.