Explosive Store Registered Premises Registration

Owners of small arms ammunition or fireworks stores who keep explosives in small quantities must register their premises with the local authority.

Under national explosives legislation, explosives must be stored in one of the following:

  • a licenced factory or magazine
  • a store (licensed by the local authority)
  • a premises registered for keeping explosives

There are several licences you may apply for:

  • as a registered premises
  • for a store licence
  • for a factory or magazine licence

Note: it is sometimes wrongly assumed that being a registered firearms dealer (under the Firearms Acts) automatically means that the premises is also registered for storage under the Explosives Act when, in fact, this is separate legislation. A registered firearms dealer needs to have either a registered premises or a local authority store to keep their stocks of ammunition.