Housing Needs Assessment

Local authorities assess applications for social housing based on housing need. Approved applicants are placed on the housing list which is reviewed each year.

Each year Carlow Conty Council, as directed by the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, carries out an annual assessment of social housing applications for any applicant that has not been assessed in the previous 15 months. All Social housing applicants prior to this date that are not receiving HAP, RAS or are on the transfer list will be notified that their application is being reassessed to see if they still have a need or requirement for social housing. A list of information outlined in the table below must be submitted to Carlow County Council for assessment. Failure to complete the application may result in an applicant being removed from the Housing list and time on the list will be lost. 

The 2023 housing assessment commenced in September and was advertised in the newspaper, online and applications forms were posted to applicants. Forms can also be picked up at Carlow County Council offices in Carlow, Bagenalstown or Tullow. Staff are available to assist any applicant and further information can be requested via ssha@carlowcoco.ie 


  • These may apply to you if your circumstances have changed recently/since you applied or since you last updated your information with the Council. 
  • We may need you to submit further documentation and we will tell you about this as quickly as possible if needed. 
For all household members Proof of current address (e.g. utility bill, copy of lease or rental tenancy agreement) 
Any new household members (e.g. new babies)  Birth Certificate and PPS. No for any new household members
Any recent Marriages or Civil Partnerships  Marriage/Civil Partnership certificate
For all household members in employment 

Evidence of 12 months’ income prior to the date of application must be submitted through a combination of the following:

Current Year:

Most recent Payslips  for all employments


Pay and Tax Summary report (Year to date). This can be obtained from Revenue’s online service, myAccount and will include all employments in this current year to date.

Previous Year:

Statement of Liability. This can be obtained through Revenue’s online service, myAccount* or your local Tax Office


Employment Detail Summary report(s) for each employment. This can be obtained from Revenue’s online service, myAccount

For all household members in self-employment  

A minimum of 2 years’ audited accounts with an Auditor’s Report


A Notice of Assessment and/or Self-Assessment Acknowledgement letter for the preceding 12 months.

For all household members in receipt of social welfare A recent statement from Department of Social Protection detailing all welfare payments received and commencement date of receipt of such payments.  If a household is in receipt of social welfare for less than 12 months, a Statement of Liability for the preceding year and, where applicable, payslips for the intervening period must also be provided. 
Any household member who is a non-EEA national 

A copy of the latest IRP card (formally GNIB card) 

Proof of citizenship or permission to remain in Ireland for all household members (e.g. letter from Department of Justice or similar from Garda National Immigration Bureau.

Any recent legal separation or divorce  Copy of the agreement including Terms of Compromise 
Any recent custody arrangement  Document (Affidavit or Court Order) which sets out the arrangements
Any recent maintenance arrangements  Document which sets out how much maintenance is received 
Applications on grounds of any NEW Medical or Disability Grounds (if applicable)

A Completed Medical and/or Disability Information Form (HMD-Form1), available from your local authority (contact details below)

Occupational therapist’s report in respect of any specific accommodation requirements.